Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Sleep training

While I was still in school J started sleeping really well and would go to sleep between 7-8 and stay asleep until between 2-4 it was FABULOUS! 



I'm not gonna lie I brushed my shoulders off a couple of times and gave myself "best mommy of the eternities" award for not having to "sleep train" him. 



But then.... Calamity hit. 

Out of the blue (what does that even mean??) J started waking up every 2-3 hours again! And sometimes after only an hour cuz he pooped!!

I returned all my trophies and suffered through it for a couple of weeks. 



I decided I couldn't complain because I was no longer teaching so I should have been ok with my lack of sleep, right? Wrong.

I wasn't really taking any naps during the day and was seriously exhausted. So I decided it was time to sleep train. Cue tears (from everyone). 



Well I learned something I already knew: I can't sleep train my baby. 

I just cannot stand to hear him cry. I stare at the clock and don't do anything else while I await my alloted time to pass before I can go in and sooth the poor kid. It's awful. Did I mention I hate it? It stinks. Like a poopy diaper. (I have a lot of experience with those so I know what I'm  talking about)



The biggest problem is that I don't stay at home all day and work really hard to make sure j gets all of his naps and that they are good naps. We go out and about and he misses naps or will only take cat naps so by the end of the night the poor kid is overtired and after 2 -  5 minute crying sessions woody and I say "he just needs help tonight" and rock the poor baby to sleep. He's so precious when he's sleeping. 



But we've had some good moments. Like this one night when J only fussed for about 5 minutes and then fell asleep on his own. (I busted out my best mom ever trophies that night). And then one time when he woke up at 1 and I didn't go to him right away and he fell back asleep. (I celebrated by also falling back to sleep. That's a good celebration right?)

So we are still learning. And I'm probably making things worse by trying to make him cry it out and failing but we will survive... I hope. And he's still so small so I can fix all of his bad habits later.... Maybe. 




No comments:

Post a Comment